[Testing] [OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary: 19 November 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 21 21:13:18 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:32:10PM +1300, Tom Parker wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 09:07 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 09:53:14PM +1300, Tabitha Roder wrote:
> > > os11 on XO-1.75:
> > > Clyde [...]
> > >
> > > Changed timezone and restarted. Worked in that the time changed, but
> > > the time on the computer is wrong.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Moon. Failed to Start.
> > >
> > > Ran the diagnostic tests. Most tests pass.
> > > [...]
> > > The RTC real time clock test failed - why? We are unable to reset the
> > > clock in gnome on this laptop -- it seems to be keeping time but
> > > thinks it is January 2000. We haven't tried our other XO 1.75
> >
> > XO-1.75 B1 had an RTC power down hardware defect
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.75_B1_C1_Changes#Fix_RTC_Power
> > the effect is to lose the time over a power cycle, which includes an
> > operating system reboot.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.75_B1_ECOs#RTC_Problems suggests a fix.

That should already have been applied to your unit, and the C1 units
have a switch added to the power line of the RTC, according to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.75_B1_C1_Changes#Fix_RTC_Power ... so even
if the ECO wasn't applied on your unit, there's a chance it won't fix
the problem.

You might try some forth code to work around the problem, setting the
RTC to something reasonable during boot.

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11425 has some details of how this can be
done.  Doing it in the /boot/olpc.fth file before starting Linux might
be one method.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/