[Testing] 11.2.0 release candidate 4 (build 873) released

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 03:47:24 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:53, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Coincidence.  The port number used by rsync is 873, and our builds have
> reached the same number.  The universe will implode shortly.  ;-)

Too much pattern recognition, aka schizophrenia ;-)

> I've no solution to your problem, however.  It looks only like a network
> failure.

I tried again with two "-v" in `sudo olpc-netstatus -v -v
candidate-873` and it finally succeeded "Performing full rsync"
despite lots of rsync timeouts and errors. Then Software update said a
few activities needed update, slowly downloaded updates to them, then
reported a few activities still need update. I think my XO-1 might
have flaky Wi-fi, as my other Wi-fi devices (Android phones, PS3,
etc.) seem to work fine.

I'm worried that despite its report of success the olpc-update may
have left my filesystem in an inconsistent state because of the
timeouts and network failures, which will invalidate all my testing. I
downloaded os873.{toc,usb} and tried `sudo olpc-update --force --usb`
but it concludes the new version's hash matches the current hash and
so exits early with "Already up-to-date".  Is there a way to force an
update or to verify that the current version matches?  I ran a diff -r
of /versions/running against the contents of os873.usb and they seem
equivalent, but I'd hate to waste people's time.

--
=S Page