[Testing] Software update problems in OLPC 10.1.3

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sat Jan 8 23:13:57 EST 2011

On 1/8/2011 10:38 PM, S Page wrote:
> some activities; misleading output.
>
> My XO-1 was up-to-date against the Activities/G1G1Lite group for
> 10.1.2 before the olpc-upgrade to build 360.
The latest build is now 860 (not 360) but your report probably is still
useful.  The 860 build is signed, and will install on any secured XO
which does not have deployment-specific overriding keys.
> I have accumulated various activities over time, particularly from the
> glitch in updating to 10.1.2 where I got the big set of activities for
> XO-1.5 before I changed to the G1G1Lite activity group.  I had removed
> some of those.
>
> I followed http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_update#Debugging_the_updater,
>

> $ sugar-control-panel -s install_update Help
>
> This was very slow checking some activities such as Help, Measure and
> Analyze, printing a "XX%" progress indicator
>
> == Misleading output ==
> I note again that the URL that Software update claims that it's
> checking is wrong.  It says "Fetching
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1Lite" but it's actually
> fetching something like
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1Lite/10.1.3 . I already filed
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10321
This actually is known; the updater actually uses this URL as a base and
first tries adding "/10.1.3" then "/10.1" then "/10" then finally just
the URL itself to see if there are any version-specific pages.  Prior to
these it may also try appending the build's number & description,
although I'm not certain exactly what it's doing there (i.e.
"/360_Customized").  The first URL tried which retrieves a valid web
page is used.

> Checking ACTIVITY_NAME
> Failure updating ACTIVITY_NAME none none
> ...  in _retrieve_update_version... in only_best_update, in __lt__, ...
> sugar/bundle/bundleversion.py line 135, in _cannot_compare
>    % (Type(self). __name__, type(other).__name__))
> TypeError: Can not compare NormalizedVersion and str
>
> I think these are installed activities that aren't in the G1G1Lite
> activity group.

This potentially is an issue; but I do not have an XO-1 with me at the
moment to reproduce it.  This specific error may also be related to the
extended version activity numbering support added in 10.1.3.

Did you install any applications not found in the G1G1Lite set?

The G1G1Lite group actually is missing some activities found in the
original G1G1 group such as WikipediaEN, but this should not matter
unless your XO-1 was upgraded without reflashing from another build
prior to 10.1.2.   10.1.3's G1G1Lite group actually adds a few
activities (Jukebox and Image Viewer) back.

> == Help update fails ==
>
> But for Help, there's no error
> Software update just prints "downloading Help...", then exits without error.
> I don't see anything in shell.log
>
> Software update downloads a temp copy of the activity to
> ~olpc/Activities/HelpXXXXXX , but it removes it and I can't see how to
> keep this around to look at it.  I'm not sure how to debug further.
Is your XO's drive full?  I imagine the system would be asking you to
remove Journal entries when rebooted in that case though.

What path did your XO-1 take to be upgraded?  Was it running anything
before 10.1.2, and did you use olpc-update to upgrade every time?