[Testing] [olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 29 May 2010

Gary C Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 1 10:35:58 EDT 2010

Hi Mikus,

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback, and yes, UI latency issues are real tender subject... The trick (I hope) with a replacement fullscreen dialogue is that it doesn't need to do any of the actual activity start-up process which is what I understand is the delay for the pulse window appearing, and then the duration it then pulses for. A full screen dialogue 'should' be making no more dbus requests than the current pop-up palette, it's just a different UI technique for the same information. I hope such a change would help resolve:

1) confusion many have between start new, and resume by making that choice explicit and of equal value
2) avoid the whole insta pop-up vs. delayed hover palette vs. right click vs. left click debates
3) avoid the need for cursor dexterity to use a current palette
4) the additional screen real-estate may allow an extra feature (I'm thinking "Start shared", ideal for chat etc)

Thanks again for your feedback, Christian has some nice mock-ups (he's still working on so not posted anywhere yet) – I imaging we'll be having another design #sugar-meeting this weekend to bounce the concept around a little more if you wanted to attend.

Regards,
--Gary