[Testing] Automatic power management

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Fri Aug 27 08:34:16 EDT 2010

asiri -- thank you for the clear explanation.

power management is a tradeoff between saving power, and keeping
the laptop useful for the user (otherwise we would simply turn it
off altogether to save power ;-).

we try to acheive this goal is to save power by putting the laptop
into suspend when the user isn't obviously using the laptop -- i.e.,
when the laptop is idle.  (this is not something that can be determined
exactly, of course.)   in the case of audio and video, we assume
that the user would like to hear, or see, the music or movie they
have selected, so when we detect these activities, we try and inhibit
idle suspend.

so if there is buggy behavior, it's if the laptop _does_ suspend
while playing audio or video.

paul