[Testing] Uploading 800+ Test Cases onto the WIKI

Chamindra de Silva chamindra at opensource.lk
Thu Apr 15 04:02:27 EDT 2010

The ideal actually would be to capture something like this in a test case
and plan management tool like test link (http://www.testlink.org). Do we
have any plans to utilize such a tool in OLPC Testing?

The objective of such granular test cases is really about predictable
regression testing and to have some sense of test coverage and a
quantitative measure of the overall stability of a particular build. In test
link these reports are auto generated once you run a series of test cases
(e.g. % test cases that have failed/passed/blocked on a particular activity,
or on the whole product). Based on this you can make decisions on weather
you are ready to make a public release and if you should include/not include
a particular activity in the release.

I still do not think it is effective to put this level of granularity each
as a seperate test case in the WIKI as is as it just creates one long page,
that is far less usable for a testing than quickly updating a spreadsheet.
Also please note that each build will have a new updated set of WIKI pages
(or spreadsheets) or test case results, so this approach is really messy to
implement in the WIKI. Test link however effectively manages different
build/release test results separately in it's database.

BTW the value of navigation structure I shared before, was again a mechanism
for verifying coverage. ie the doc can be used to check with
developers/community if we have covered all aspects of a particular activity
at a high level (with the test cases giving more detail).

--
Chamindra de Silva
Home:  http://chamindra-de-silva.blogspot.com