[Testing] [support-gang] SL meet SL! (Sri Lanka, Sugar Labs, Service Learning, Schools & Libraries, Soft Landing, Shangri-La, Silent Lucidity, etc)

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Tue Apr 6 05:46:09 EDT 2010

> Another scenario: what if the icon is coloured because there is a
> journal entry that will be launched?
>
> oh wow, I thought the colour was because you had already played the
activity, but then not all played activities changed colour so was confused,
this might be why
though some activities have colour before you play them and dont change
colours due to playing that activity (I think there is an activity called
tanagram that always has colour but that is off the top of my head)

I don't think you can be a Sugar tester without having some experience with
the user interface and someone around (physically or online) to ask
questions of who is an experienced Sugar user. Minimum is a five minute
overview and a fifteen minute play, right? Without at least a basic overview
and knowing where to get more info, how do you differentiate bug from
feature? Particularly as I would say the majority of testers have experience
with other operating environments and so have learned expectations based on
their past experiences. In saying that, you get great feedback and questions
from new sets of eyes. When I first started testing, I was told not to press
the rotate key as it would freeze the laptop (this is a few years ago) so
didn't press it the first few testing sessions. A little kid came along and
pressed everything and wow the rotate does work and no freezing.

Was there a reason I wrote all that? Oh yes, that is right. We don't want to
script every test and forget to experiment randomly. Trying new things is
important too, just like thinking about how I would use an activity with
students and where in the curriculum it fits is as important as testing it
works. E.g. Most of the early testing I did with Write was also with Record,
based on my assumption that I would use these together with a small group
(so MESH important and can be hard to identify failure cause, and ability to
move between the two activities important on each of the laptops).

Testing activities in isolation is also problematic as you miss things. We
found if you played sound in some activities then tried to play sound in a
different activity it would not work without rebooting laptop; even when
closing first activity before starting next activity you could not get
sound. You can easily misreport the bug as being the second activity sound
works intermittently when actually it is the first activity that has the
bug.

Now I feel like I have rambled long enough and no idea if this was useful,
so will stop.

Tabitha