[Testing] New F11 for the XO-1 Build 8

Bill Coderre bcbc at mac.com
Fri Oct 23 00:48:50 EDT 2009

I have an XO-1 from the first Give One, Get One, and was able to install "OS8" and in general am very impressed. Sugar and the new activities are really shaping up! Once it installed, and booted (it took a few tries to boot)

One dumb-user note: It took me a while to figure out that after the copy-nand, one needs to type "reboot."

Sometimes, my XO will not boot, gets stuck very near the beginning of the boot cycle. When I do a verbose boot, it usually gets stuck saying something about "loading ramdisk image from ...." My firmware is Q2E33.

I decided to install Firefox, but got an error most of the way through about yum running out of memory. Re-doing "yum install firefox" said that there was nothing to do. I couldn't figure out how to get Firefox to appear on the activities ring screen, but eventually figured out that it could be launched by typing "firefox" in terminal -- when you are NOT su.

If there's anything I can do to help out, let me know.