[Testing] FYI: all 41 still on the mesh, 19 of which chat successfully

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Jan 31 15:08:50 EST 2009

Machines all appeared properly registered to "schoolserver.xs051.org"
yet shared chat wasn't workable much at all 12+ hrs later.  And
"olpc-xos" returned very low numbers all around, so I powered off every
machine together, then started afresh:

40 machines were powered on, waiting 15-20 seconds between each boot.  1
machine absolutely refused to show the shared chat bubble even after
reboot etc, but eventually 39 machines successfully connected to a new
shared chat -- hardly flawless but the vast majority of chat messages
get through.

"olpc-xos" however returned widely varying results:
    * 9 machines showed a number between 35 and 40
    * 21 machines showed a number between 30 and 34
    * 7 machines showed a number between 20 and 29
    * 3 machines showed a number between 10 and 19

2 hours later, not a single "olpc-xos" return value appears to have changed.

Chat continued to work tolerably, with:
    * 17 machines forcing me to the Home View at the very 1st keypress
-- then all was fine, after I rejoined the Chat still in memory (from
Home View)
    * 5 machines had the Chat activity fail with errors; acknowledging &
ignoring error did not work -- then all was fine, after I stopped Chat
and rejoined the shared chat (from Network View)
    * not every chat msg arriving on every machine, but perhaps this
lossiness is the norm...