[Testing] FYI: all 41 still on the mesh, 19 of which chat successfully

Kimberley Quirk kim.quirk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 08:58:27 EST 2009

Adam,
This is good information. One thought i had was that if the 12
troublemakers were not correctly registered to the school server, then
they would never share an activity properly.  I know I tried to
register each laptop to the school server... but it could be the case
that I registered a bunch of them while they were connected to the
wrong AP, which might cause this kind of problem.

To figure this out, you can look at the control panel of the suspect
laptops, then click on network. They should all show the same server
registration as the good laptops, something like
"schoolserver.xs051.org".

If any of them are different, then you probably need to remove the
school registration and try registration again. Hopefully Reuben can
help with this.

The second scenario you mention sounds like the case when too many
laptops (more than 10) are connected to a simple mesh (like mesh
channel 1), and then there is no way they will share anything. This
can happen when you reboot many laptops at basically the same time. If
20 laptops are all booting about the same time, some (many?) of them
will not connect to desired AP, they will time-out from trying that
and default to mesh channel 1.

And, there is the possibility that too many reboots in a short period
of time and not enough time for things to really settle might result
in the presence service being confused.

When things are working well these things will all be met:

1 - each laptop will show the same number of other laptops when you
type: olpc-xos
2 - each laptop will be registered to the same school server: control
panel, network
3 - starting/sharing chat on one laptop, you will see the chat icon on
all other laptops and they can connect
4 - typing in chat for each laptop can be seen by all other laptops
over a period of a few hours (not 24 hours later)

I think you need to get to this level of performance before releasing
8.2.1. What you describe below could be an important regression.
Another test would be to get all the laptops up and registered to the
school server and start the chat testing each new laptop against the
ones already in the chat by typing a bit... before adding the next
laptop. If there is a regression perhaps it shows up after the 10th
laptop (or some such thing).

I added the Testing group in case there are other thoughts (probably
should have been on this thread from the beginning).

Keep us posted,
Kim