[Testing] QA team meeting notes - the summary

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Oct 28 13:48:12 EDT 2008

On 28 Oct 2008, at 15:35, Joseph A. Feinstein wrote:

> <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Monitor>http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Monitor
> .
> Useful? If XO is slowing down and CPU is locking up, might not
> respond over ssh anyway, need to walk over to XO and type; do we
> actually gain anything?
>    * What we need is a bash script that will run a bash script on a
> given list of IP addresses.
>    * Why did the root password get removed?
>    * VNC is difficult to set up, still trying.
>    * Write a bash script that runs ps on a list of IP addresses and
> gets the information back somehow.

That last point caught my eye.

I have three XOs here I'm starting to test collaboration and power
issues on. I'm often working away from the desk that the XOs are set
up on, so the quickest way to interact remotely with them is using
ssh. Roughly, the steps are:

1) generate a public/private key on your master machine
2) copy the public key (~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub) onto all the XOs (/home/
olpc/.ssh/authorized_keys)
3) make sure the authorized_keys only has write access for user (chmod
g-w usually all that's needed)
4) then from your master you can remotely run commands as needed (ssh olpc at 192.168.1.5
  ps aux)

One thing you'll need to resolve is getting the list of all IP
addresses, the three XOs here occasionally play tricks on me (DHCP
timeout) and change addresses, so I need to clean out host keys in
~/.ssh/known_hosts from time to time. I guess you could also tell ssh
to switch off it's strict host checking. Here's a really quick stab at
scanning some subnet and getting the list of active IP addresses to
try some other script on:

for (( i=1;i<=255;i+=1 )); do ping -q -c 1 -t 1 192.168.1.${i} > /dev/
null && echo 192.168.1.${i}; done

Notes: I've reduced the ping time-out to just wait 1sec before
assuming no one is home, this lets the script complete in 1sec per IP
address. If you're just testing, trying to ctrl-c out of any for loop
is a pain :-) use ctrl-z and then kill % or wait till the script is
done.

Do you have some specific terminal commands you want to run? I'm
guessing things like ps aux, free, ifconfig, nm-tool, avahi-browse -t
_presence._tcp. I could knock up a bash script and test it here on the
three XOs if you have a list of what you're after collecting.

--Gary