[Testing] QA team meeting notes - the summary

Joseph A. Feinstein joe at laptop.org
Tue Oct 28 11:35:35 EDT 2008

We held a QA team meeting on 10/27/08. Here is the summary.

Testbeds

    * Discussed setup of RF test case: When an XO is associated with
a particular SSID, but that SSID is used by more than 1 AP, how do
the XOs choose on boot which AP to associate with?
    * All the XOs start in channel 1, look for the AP, then move to
channel 6 if they don't find it there, and then 11 if they don't find
it there?
    * It should be random - some XOs start on 6, some on 11, some on
1 - to alleviate RF crowding?
    * The test case should be created and the test should be executed.

Backup/Restore

    * Discussion on results of
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/XS/backupDS>http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/XS/backupDS.

    * The test has to be run overnight.
    * Bugs found - info in Trac (or will be there).
    * Try different cases to see if the "restore" feature works
properly, for example, a Paint image in a Write doc.

Touchpad

    * Got 5 machines with new touchpads - they look good!
    * Couldn't reboot one of the XOs; redoing clean-install fixed it.
Problems with olpc-update installation?
    * Has the correct firmware appropriate for that touchpad been
installed? Need to go back and check.

Scripts

    * Some scripts have been written and are subject to test.
    * Get hosting for these scripts (talk to sysadmin).
    * Script 1: delete XS registration in a config file, overwrite a
network.cfg file with what you want, edit .xsession file to enable
collaboration logging.
    * Script ideas:
        * run olpc-update
        * push logs from an XO into an XS

Wiki reconstruction

    * Is it needed?
    * Keep adding new things
    * Looking for ideas - brief discussion on this next week

Test Automation

    *
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Monitor>http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Monitor.
Useful? If XO is slowing down and CPU is locking up, might not
respond over ssh anyway, need to walk over to XO and type; do we
actually gain anything?
    * What we need is a bash script that will run a bash script on a
given list of IP addresses.
    * Why did the root password get removed?
    * VNC is difficult to set up, still trying.
    * Write a bash script that runs ps on a list of IP addresses and
gets the information back somehow.

Test notes going public

    * We should do it!

Fedora on XO

    * Fedora community has started reporting their results.
    * Tests aren't yet satisfactory.
    * Testing is "all volunteer".

Community testing

    * What are we trying to get from this?
    * It takes some time to build infrastructure.
    * Start regular test community meetings - first one to be
announced for Thursday at 5pm.