[Testing] Who wants to learn (or teach) about testing?

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Fri Oct 17 00:55:52 EDT 2008

A number of volunteers have expressed interest in learning testing along
with me, so I'm hoping to make the community test group a great place
for newbies to learn about QA. Though I'm nominally starting out as a
facilitator for the group (would anyone like to help out or step up for
point on testing training?), I'll be a student in the discipline
alongside everybody else, and would very much like to learn from our
community members with plenty of test experience.

What should we learn? (Testers: what do you wish you'd known when you
first started?) What do you want to learn? What can you teach, and who
do you know whom we can learn from? Any recommendations for good test
tools, books on testing, and projects (open-source or not) to learn from
would be great; we've gotten some fantastic tips already (thank you,
Marco, Cjl, Adric, and many, many others) and I'm really looking for a
flood of input here - I'll sort it out after the weekend.

We are still ironing out the last few details of what the community test
team will do - I want us to have a clear target and known boundaries and
resources so that we can run full steam ahead and stretch our crazy
ingenuity as far out as possible to Get Things Done without being afraid
of hitting a wall, stepping on toes, or not being able to get resources.
This might take a couple days but I will let you all know the instant we
are go for launch.

Cheers,

-Mel