[Testing] Community test meeting minutes, 2008-11-20

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Thu Nov 20 20:49:35 EST 2008

Thanks to all who came to tonight's community testing meeting in the
middle of a crazy week.

Logs and notes:
http://meeting.laptop.org/olpc-meeting.log.20081120_1702.html
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_testing_meetings/2008-11-20

Next meeting: As a reminder, there will be *no meeting* next week due to
US Thanksgiving - instead, please use that time to talk with an Activity
developer and ask him or her what they'd like testers to do for them.
Invite them to our next meeting, because we'll be spending most of that
focused on developer/tester relationships - Martin (XS) and Marco
(Sugar) will be coming to chime in on their perspectives as developers,
and we'd love to hear from more (I know some of our test group members
are developers as well).

Our meeting times have also been moved 1 hour later (2300-2400 UTC,
5-6pm EST) to accommodate New Zealand time zones and lunch hours. ;-)
Therefore, our next meeting will be at 2300 UTC in #olpc-meeting on
December 4, 2008. Pre-agenda, go!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_testing_meetings/2008-12-04

Now for the highlights...

* The Wellington test group has done some spectacular Activity testing -
see http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/testing/2008-November/000585.html
and http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/testing/2008-November/000577.html
for the email threads. Brian Jordan also started a test plan for Paint -
see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/Activity/Paint.

* Skierpage implemented a spreadsheet method of storing test results,
which is much more sortable than our current semantic forms scheme -
we'll need to find ways to combine the best aspects of the two. See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_testing_meetings/2008-11-06/Displaying_testing_metrics_in_motivating_ways#Implementation
for the links.

* We had a good discussion about metrics - specifically, what data is it
that we should be collecting for each test? Skierpage and Carl put forth
some good thoughts towards this, and we split it into two parts: smoke
testing of Activities, which Carl is now heading the charge for, and
finalizing the data we will be collecting for each Activity for this
round of testing, which the Wellington Test Group will be deciding on
tomorrow. (After Dec. 25, we'll see how well our metrics are working,
and readjust accordingly.)

Action items are below the line - as a reminder, these are due Dec. 4, 2
weeks from now - not Nov. 27! So we have some extra time to do this.
Thank you to all who volunteered!

-Mel

--- Action items! ---

     * mchua to present possible resources and resource sources for
community testers via any means available, talking with SJ and Kim if
possible. (This has been deferred for two weeks, and we should move
forward even as people are busy with G1G1.)
     * skierpage to make Friends in testing say "ramping up gently", and
merge/link Friends in Testing with Community testing as needed.
     * mchua to make sure that joef and m_stone are ok with the Friends
in Testing and Community testing merge.
     * bjordan, gregdek, Caryl, Wellington testers: Continue testing
Activities; use (and edit!)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_test_an_Activity and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Reporting_test_results.
     * dirakx to work with anna_bham on making XS testing/work
public-facing.
     * cr_lf has taken charge of smoke testing for Activities - will
come back in 2 weeks to teach us how to separate out, run, and keep
track of generic functionality checks that all Activities should go through
     * adricnet may do a quick tech evaluation of several testing tools
this weekend, time permitting
     * tabitha, aly and the Wellington testers are going to determine
the test data fields we will be using. mchua will look through last
week's test reports and merge them with the data we are currently
collecting, then send to WTG for final revision - whatever they decide
on for a final format will be the data that we will collect for this
round of Activity tests (testing G1G1 Activities before December 25).
     * garycmartin to continue work on Sugarbot with Zach