[Testing] Automated testing, OLPC, code+screencasts.

Charles Merriam charles.merriam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:28:25 EDT 2008

I just glanced at DogTail:
+ GUI testing written in Python
+ Allows some querying/setting of actual fields.
- Not maintained for past couple years
- Most documentation and examples missing
- Test cases appear verbose, but hard to tell with all examples missing.
- Testing uses 'tree' approach requiring manaully setting focus and such.
- Relies on all sorts of stuff, including the disability libraries and
CORBA of all things to send messages.

Here's a good document:
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/020jun06/features/dogtail/
Here's a sample test script:
# Focus gedit's text buffer.
    25  focus.text()
    26
    27  # Load the UTF-8 demo file. Use codecs.open() instead of open().
    28  from codecs import open
    29  from sys import path
    30  utfdemo = open(path[0] + '/data/UTF-8-demo.txt')
    31
    32  # Load the UTF-8 demo file into the text buffer.
    33  focus.widget.text = utfdemo.read()
    34
    35  # Click gedit's Save button.
    36  click('Save')
    37
    38  # Focus gedit's Save As... dialog
    39  focus.dialog('Save as...')
    40
    41  # click the Browse for other folders widget
    42  activate('Browse for other folders')
    43
    44  # Click the Desktop widget
    45  activate('Desktop', roleName = 'table cell')

Overall, DogTail spends most of its effort getting around the PyGTK
limitations about exposing the entire tree.  It uses the accessibility
UI as a substitute for having an API into PyGTK.   Most of the test
script is mucking around getting focus, etc.

Anyone actually use DogTail still?

Charles