[Testing] Activity testing instructions

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Fri Dec 12 04:32:40 EST 2008

 From http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Preparation

(Note: These instructions and the ones on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing probably still have
confusing spots - PLEASE HOLLER when you hit a snag! The bug lies in our
infrastructure and our documentation, *not* with your understanding.)

If you know that you're going to be doing an Activity testing sprint,
you might want to arrange for other members of the test community with
expertise that you might want to be able to ping to be online while
you're testing, or look for them on IRC before you start, or even just
pop into #olpc and see if anyone is willing to be on standby for
questions from testers for the next few hours.

Below is the infrastructure work remaining.
---

1. We need to specify the form fields in
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pyBIsSK_3IlsHBpwk1EFNcQ
completely (as garycmartin pointed out, what exactly does "Tester" mean?
Wiki username, email address, etc.?) By that, I mean if you're the first
one running through the form who says "it is ambiguous what I should
input here, what should I do?" decide it ("Name = Wiki username!"), edit
the form to reflect it, and then put in your results.

In order to do this, we need to all have edit privs on the spreadsheet -
who can post (to the list and the wiki,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Smoke_testing)
instructions on how to edit the form itself?

2. We need to find the semantic mediawiki testcases for every activity
in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Progress and hook
them into that table. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Test_cases has
most of them.

What does this mean?

Look at this query:
http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=G1G1_Activity_testing&action=edit&section=11

It creates this table, which is automatically filled in with the
information that the query asks for.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Activity_info

We need to turn this table, which is manually/statically generated...
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Progress_table

...into a table that pulls from the following properties from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Template:Activity_page:

|ready for testing=
|smoke tested=
|test plan available=
|test plan executed=
|developer response to testing=

These are all (currently) booleans. Since no value is currently set for
any of these properties for any Activity, the entire table should be
filled with "False""False""False"etc. (Bonus points: instead of or in
addition to displaying "False," color the table cell red. Mega bonus
points: display a dragon.*)

3. We need to, when applicable, edit/reformat the semantic mediawiki
testcases for the Activities listed in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Progress so that they
/can/ be hooked into that table.

What does that mean?

Look at this form:
http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=Help_(activity)&action=formedit
Notice it has textboxes, checkboxes, etc. that you can easily fill out.
We want to have, on that form, true/false checkboxes (Type:Boolean) that
let you fill in info for the following properties from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Template:Activity_page:

|ready for testing=
|smoke tested=
|test plan available=
|test plan executed=
|developer response to testing=

When this works, checking any of those boxes for an Activity should
result in the cell for that test for that Activity in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#Progress saying "True"
instead of "False" (bonus points: the cell should turn green or some
other happy-looking color, or display a pony.*)

4. we need to start running tests to fill all of these tables in. See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_Activity_testing#How_to_help for each
stage of that process.

*If you _actually_ make this display ponies and dragons, I will
personally bake and ship you cookies.

--Mel