[Testing] Smoke testing activities

S Page info at skierpage.com
Thu Dec 4 05:02:19 EST 2008

I may not be able to make it to the meeting; also I've been busy working
on separating Software features from Feature roadmap for Gregg Smith.

 From http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_testing_meetings/2008-11-20 :

> cr_lf has taken charge of smoke testing for Activities - will come
> back in 2 weeks to teach us how to separate out, run, and keep track
> of generic functionality checks that all Activities should go through

Is cr_lf the same as CarlKli?  (It is very confusing when people have
different e-mail, IRC, and wiki user: handles!)

Tabitha e-mailed the most excellent:

Impressive!  That Google form fill-in is what I hoped to pair with the
test case spreadsheet,
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pw29kBR10gwSAHxMTv6VfEA&hl=en but
haven't yet got to work.  My idea is each testcase would have a button
to "Report a test case result".  Clicking it would take you to the
Google form with several fields like Test case, Tester, etc. pre-filled.

Carlkli,
As you note, your form and spreadsheet is a little different than a
testcase results form.  It's *better* because it's generic and doesn't
depend on someone writing a test case for their activity.  It's also a
great implicit guide to the generic things to test in an application --
a much better starting point than writing a long theoretical web page.
[[How to test an Activity]] should still eventually link to pages that
answer questions like "How is Keep to Journal supposed to work?"

I think Carlkli's form and spreadsheet could have a "Activity preview
image appears in Journal?" column.  Possibly also columns to test export
from journal, test copy/paste, but that gets app-specific.

So is the following the real
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_test_an_Activity ?  I think it's
crisper than the current page contents.

1. Pick an activity
2. Read its wiki page
3. Run the Software update Sugar control panel, see if it's in there
already (if so note the version).  If not, download and install the
activity (and note the version)
4. Open
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pyBIsSK_3IlsHBpwk1EFNcQ ,
that tells you the generic activity behavior you should expect and test.
5. Use the activity and fill in that form.

6. In addition, see if there are specific test cases for the activity in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases_8.2.0#Activities
7. If so, follow those as you're able.
8. For each test case, fill in
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pw29kBR10gwSAHxMTv6VfEA&hl=en

If you find bugs, see [[Reporting bugs]]

--
=S