[Testing] Tubes and Journal minutes from 8/16/07

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 09:54:47 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 21:12 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Kim Quirk wrote:
> > Attending: Dafydd, Tomeu, Simon Schampijer, Mary Lou, Kim, Marco, Scott
> > (http://laptop.org/teamwiki/index.php/Team:J%26T_Meeting_2007-10-16
> > <http://laptop.org/teamwiki/index.php/Team:J%2526T_Meeting_2007-10-16> )
> >
> > TUBES
> >
> > Scott joined to discuss how to get fixes into the joyride build:
> >
> >     * Make a directory in some acct on dev.laptop.org
> >       <http://dev.laptop.org>, public_rpms and subdirectory 'joyride'.
> >       Just put in the rpms.
> >

> To ensure we got working builds we also have to compile stuff in the
> right environment. We *must* be careful about this or it's going to hurt
> us really soon, we don't want to have to track down bugs caused by the
> build process.
>
> In some cases you can cheat and just build on a similar one (Fedora 7
> for example) but that's not guaranteed to work and in the case of
> telepathy I think it's risky.
>
> Using the right environment at the moment means to build packages into
> koji. Ideally someone at Collabora would maintain the Fedora packages.
> On the short time I can help out with that, it might better to have them
> focused on coding rather than installing another distribution and
> learning koji.
>
> I think we should also improve the build system to pick up the packages
> which are built into the koji olpc-2 branch, so that it's easier to do
> the right thing.
>
> public_rpms is good to quickly throw snapshots (or experimental stuff)
> into the build, but I don't see how it could be the normal way packages
> goes into the build.

Marco is 100% correct.  If you do not build all the packages in the
_same_ _stable_ environment, you are simply asking for a big gun to
shoot you right in the face, and you deserve it.

It's Just That Simple.

It doesn't really matter where that environment is, even if you're
cross-compiling, just as long as it's a buildroot pulling packages from
_one_ consistent repo, using a consistent toolchain, on the same
platform, every time.  Anything more than quick testing packages built
on personal machines is assured doomage.

Dan