[Testing] Tubes and Journal minutes from 8/16/07

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Tue Oct 16 14:41:08 EDT 2007

Attending: Dafydd, Tomeu, Simon Schampijer, Mary Lou, Kim, Marco, Scott
(http://laptop.org/teamwiki/index.php/Team:J%26T_Meeting_2007-10-16<http://laptop.org/teamwiki/index.php/Team:J%2526T_Meeting_2007-10-16>
)

TUBES

Scott joined to discuss how to get fixes into the joyride build:

   - Make a directory in some acct on dev.laptop.org, public_rpms and
   subdirectory 'joyride'. Just put in the rpms.
   - Difficult to get a change log - eventually we will be reading the
   source rpms for changelog info.
   - Scott will help out to figure out where the packages come from
   today. Collabra doesn't

Dafydd will help monitor exactly when and what builds all these fixes get
into a build. With the new build system and provide an email update.

JOURNAL

   - Tomeu - journal performance is much better, is it good enough?
   - Marco - need to implement something to drop entries after the
   journal gets too long. If something is starred, it won't be deleted. We were
   waiting for the school server back up to be available before deleting stuff.

   - Eben - there could be some visual design to show people ahead of
   time what is scheduled for deletion.

*Plan for laptop backing up to school server*

   - Laptop backing up to the school server; something needs to notify
   that it is connected to a school server (NM); if it has been more than x
   hours, it should initiate an rsync.

   - Tomeu will talk to Dan Winship to get the dbus info that says the XO
   is connected to a school server. Then he will ask if it has been >2 hours
   (with an appropriate amount of random sleep time). Then it will initiate the
   back to the school server (Dan Winship wrote this rsync script in the past).
   Need to mark in the datastore that an object has been backed up.

   - Kim will add a Trac item for a future feature: how to do a full
   restore from school server.

   - Scott needs to get the datastore info so he can create a program to
   read the datastore from the school server. Kim will hook up Scott and Ben to
   see if Ben can do some of the work.

*Three pieces of info for school server backup:'*

   1. - XO needs to know it is on a school server and initiate a backup
   2. - School server needs to display the files on a webserver
   3. - XO can retreive one file at a time into the journal from the
   school server webpage.
   4. - For full restore, we will define this as a future feature.

*Space management - auto delete*:

   - Every day the autodelete job runs: It looks at the total number of
   items in the journal (if over 500), then looks at only items that have been
   backed up and are older then 3 months, and it will delete those.

   - Eben will send around ideas for more friendly view of items that are
   going to be deleted.

-Kim