[Testing] Final review for Power Management Requirements, Trial-2

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Jul 19 09:28:55 EDT 2007

The difference is the following:

If you've adjusted your antennae, closing the lid will destroy the
adjustment, and take the antennae to the ground if the laptop is on the
ground.

Since we want the mesh up, this is *bad*.  Really bad....  So closing
the lid isn't good behavior to encourage.

Explaining to a 7 year old under what circumstances an idle governor
(which we don't have yet) will suspend the machine (or not) is way to
complicated: what is more, only the kid knows if (s)he's really done
with what they were doing.

So the point of the button press is an explicit way to force a suspend,
preserve the mesh, and have something we can explain.

The fact that it doesn't turn off the screen yet, as was commented on
before, is incorrect: pushing the power button should in fact force a
suspend and turn everything off except wireless.
                                     - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child