[Testing] some errors on iwconfig

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 07:55:16 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 10:11 -0700, Ronak Chokshi wrote:
> We have talked about populating link quality field with different
> sorts of values but we haven’t gotten a consensus on that yet. I will
> dig up the latest email threads on that topic but suggestions are
> definitely welcome. Link quality in a mesh network usually doesn’t
> hold too much of sense because there are several links to neighbor
> mesh nodes to start with. So, there is not one RF link that can be
> justified as a candidate for calculating link quality.

With WEXT, link "quality" (ie, qual.qual) is a linear scale field from 0
- 100 that may, at the option of the driver, take things like transmit
errors, decryption failures, etc, into account.

The "level" field (ie, qual.level) is where either dBm or raw RSSI
should go for the signal, and the "noise" field (ie, qual.noise) should
match the level semantics, but of course with noise and not signal.

So as long as these restrictions are met, whatever gets used in
qual.qual is probably fine by me.

Dan