[sugar] Default templates with Write to complex script countries

Martin Edmund Sevior martines at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 15:43:56 EST 2008

Thanks Edward,
              That is awesome work already.

Cheers

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Cherlin [mailto:echerlin at gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 11/27/2008 6:27 PM
To: Martin Edmund Sevior
Cc: sugar at lists.laptop.org
Subject: Re: [sugar] Default templates with Write to complex script countries

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Martin Sevior <martines at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>               I haven't received much feedback on this so we're going
> with DejaVu-Sans for Arabic.

I recommend KACST Book.

> I've setup a section on the Write wiki where people can fill in the best
> font for their Language.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Write#Description_.26_Goals

I added lots more languages and fonts, based on my own opinion of the
available Free TrueType fonts. I tried to select the most readable of
the traditional fonts in each case. My impression is that we will need
more fonts for more languages soon, with expanding deployments. At
some point we will run into the need to handle minority languages and
the languages of history, commerce, and religion needed by each
community. That could include Greek, Hebrew (with Aramaic, and
possibly Yiddish and Ladino), Church Slavonic, Armenian, Syriac,
Coptic, Uighur, and several more Mongolian writing systems, plus many
more extensions of Latin, Arabic, and Cyrillic. But perhaps most of
those can wait until the successors of the XO have more storage.

<snip>