[sugar] Default templates with Write to complex script countries

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 02:27:49 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Martin Sevior <martines at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>               I haven't received much feedback on this so we're going
> with DejaVu-Sans for Arabic.

I recommend KACST Book.

> I've setup a section on the Write wiki where people can fill in the best
> font for their Language.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Write#Description_.26_Goals

I added lots more languages and fonts, based on my own opinion of the
available Free TrueType fonts. I tried to select the most readable of
the traditional fonts in each case. My impression is that we will need
more fonts for more languages soon, with expanding deployments. At
some point we will run into the need to handle minority languages and
the languages of history, commerce, and religion needed by each
community. That could include Greek, Hebrew (with Aramaic, and
possibly Yiddish and Ladino), Church Slavonic, Armenian, Syriac,
Coptic, Uighur, and several more Mongolian writing systems, plus many
more extensions of Latin, Arabic, and Cyrillic. But perhaps most of
those can wait until the successors of the XO have more storage.

> Look in the section under "Localization".
>
> Please folks, fill in your font for your Language.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Martin
>
> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 11:20 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>              Currently Write ships with a set of templates that define
>> the default fonts. Currently every single one of these templates uses
>> "DejaVu Serif" as the default font family.
>>
>> "DejaVu Serif" is great for Western European based Languages but has no
>> glyphs for complex script languages like Arabic, Hebrew or any of the
>> Indic countries.
>>
>> "DejaVu Sans" has much better glyph coverage, especially for Arabic,
>> however there may be even better font families for Arabic and there
>> certainly are for many other languages.
>>
>> OK my point about this is in order to provide the optimum experience for
>> children in these countries we would like to know which family provides
>> the best fonts for those countries.
>>
>> If we don't get this info the next best thing is to change the templates
>> to use "DejaVu Sans" to countries where we know "DejaVu Serif" doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> Does anyone have objections to this?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Martin