[sugar] Default templates with Write to complex script countries

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:54:38 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Martin Sevior <martines at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>             Currently Write ships with a set of templates that define
> the default fonts. Currently every single one of these templates uses
> "DejaVu Serif" as the default font family.
>
> "DejaVu Serif" is great for Western European based Languages but has no
> glyphs for complex script languages like Arabic, Hebrew or any of the
> Indic countries.
>
> "DejaVu Sans" has much better glyph coverage, especially for Arabic,
> however there may be even better font families for Arabic and there
> certainly are for many other languages.

I put a list of Debian Linux fonts at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fonts#Debian_Linux_fonts. It states the
package name, the languages and writing systems covered, and the names
of the fonts. There are similar RPMs, but I don't have the list.

> OK my point about this is in order to provide the optimum experience for
> children in these countries we would like to know which family provides
> the best fonts for those countries.

I can answer that question for some writing systems, and tell you whom
to ask for the others.