[sugar] Default templates with Write to complex script countries

Martin Sevior martines at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Nov 18 19:20:13 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,
             Currently Write ships with a set of templates that define
the default fonts. Currently every single one of these templates uses
"DejaVu Serif" as the default font family.

"DejaVu Serif" is great for Western European based Languages but has no
glyphs for complex script languages like Arabic, Hebrew or any of the
Indic countries.

"DejaVu Sans" has much better glyph coverage, especially for Arabic,
however there may be even better font families for Arabic and there
certainly are for many other languages.

OK my point about this is in order to provide the optimum experience for
children in these countries we would like to know which family provides
the best fonts for those countries.

If we don't get this info the next best thing is to change the templates
to use "DejaVu Sans" to countries where we know "DejaVu Serif" doesn't
work.

Does anyone have objections to this?

Cheers

Martin