[sugar] [IAEP] Sugar on Ubuntu LiveUSB is ready

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Nov 15 21:37:37 EST 2008

yes I got this to work on a 1GB USB with a lot of effort.  I find it
generally slow to create the USBs.  In general the fastest way to create a
new one is to copy it from one USB to another while booted into Linux.
However, I don't know if you can do that in Sugar and this particular setup
doesn't let you escape out of Sugar back down into Ubuntu as far as I could
figure out.

Herea are my notes on how I did it.

Here is my feedback on making the existing directions more friendly.

   1. Download the stock
ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso<http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso>and
burn it

Yup, I can do this.

   1. Boot from this CD and from there, use
LiveUSB<http://klik.atekon.de/liveusb>to copy the system to USB stick
(use a stick with 1-2 GB capacity as
   problems have been reported with larger ones)

Ok so when you follow this link you eventually end up at this page.
http://ppa.launchpad.net/probono/ubuntu/pool/main/l/liveusb/

Please provide instructions on exactly what to download. I picked
liveusb_0.1.1_all.deb<http://ppa.launchpad.net/probono/ubuntu/pool/main/l/liveusb/liveusb_0.1.1_all.deb>
Then also provide instructions on exactly what the user should do to install
it.  I fumbled around and eventually it opened, but I couldn't actually tell
someone else how to do it.
Then provide instruction on exactly which options to set.  I picked both
persistence and flash and the flash ended up giving me an error.

   1. If you use the persistence option, you need to replace
   casper/initrd.gz on the stick with the bugfixed
initrd.gz<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Eprobono/sbuntu/initrd.gz>provided
here.

The Casper direction is write protected. Please provide instructions on how
to deal with that.
What is this? Why am I doing it?

   1. Add the file
sugar.squashfs<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Eprobono/sbuntu/sugar.squashfs>to
the directory casper/ on the USB stick

Again the write protection on Casper made this more of a challenge then
might be expected.

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> Trying this new set up for the first time...
>
> > Boot from this CD and from there, use LiveUSB to copy the system to USB
> > stick (use a stick with 1-2 GB capacity as problems have been reported
> with
> > larger ones)
>
> I've tried with a 1 GB and a 2 GB USB. In both cases, it complains
> that I don't have enough space. Anyone have any experience getting
> this to work? Also, creating the USB image was **very** slow.

I got it to work.

> -walter
> --
> Walter Bender