[sugar] [IAEP] Sugar Camp Cambridge 17-21 Nov

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 15:26:44 EST 2008

Ar 13/11/2008 am 01:18, ysgrifennodd Brendan R. Powers:
> Hi,
>
> I did not mean to suggest ripping out telepathy and dbus, and replacing it with xmlrpc. My thought on the subject was that dbus may not be well suited for network communication because it's a binary protocol. The problem comes in when the application on the other side of the tube does not speak native dbus(php or java apps). I think xmlrpc may be a good alternative in this case because it is very simple, and its an established rpc standard on the web. Its also a XMPP standard(XEP 0009). There are several ways you could introduce this without breaking everything in the process, for instance, a new tube type could be created to support xmlrpc, like there is for dbus. That way, applications could choose to use the rpc mechanism that made sense for that app.

I think XML-RPC could be useful, but I'm worried that its usefulness would be
limited.

As I understand it, XML-RPC is more or less a client-server protocol, whereas
D-Bus gives us quite useful semantics for group communication. It's true that
D-Bus is not as widespread as things stand, and sending binary messages over
XML has always felt a bit nasty. I doubt our protocol will get standardised in
its current form, but I also think that XML-RPC is a less useful model for
writing collaborative applications.

We should certainly consider all our options though.

--
Dafydd