[sugar] Cursor modifications

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri May 30 11:49:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 04:53:03PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> In conversation with Eben, the prospect of more informative cursors came
> up.  We would like to have cursors that, for example, flash white when the
> user clicks, and change shape depending on whether the input device is the
> pen tablet or glide sensor.

Cool idea.

> I do not know anywhere near enough about X to make this happen.  I hope
> you will respond with advice about what to do, or perhaps volunteer if you
> understand this area.  It certainly doesn't sound like a hard problem.

Each gtk.gdk.Window (subclass) can have its own cursor[1].  Can/should
X be doing this?  Or were you thinking of Sugar - just the shell
in Glucose[2] - behaving like this, and encouraging all the Fructose
to implement the same behavior (...s that are applicable)?

> - --Ben

Martin

1. http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/class-gdkcursor.html
2. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy - first hit for "sugar