[sugar] current network differentiation?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:42:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 03:23:47PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> > The new design does not make any indication of which
> > network is presently associated in the Neighborhood view; perhaps we can
> > find an alternative method.  Thoughts?
>
> Perhaps the currently-associated network's icon can appear below the
> XO icon, as the Journal does initially in the Home view.

Could be tricky, since (hopefully soon) the view will be fixed so that the
current activity is beneath the XO, consistent with the Home view.  There
may be other options, though.

> > i'm also not sure how to disconnect from that network -- there's no
> > > "disconnect" option in the popup anymore.
> > >

> > Well, that's a "bug", but not really.  The problem is that there is no
> > notion of "disconnect" in network manager at all.
>
> cjb suggested to me on IRC that Disconnect/Turn Off (for
> wireless/mesh, respectively) could just cut power to the radio.  I
> then suggested that this would work if the restoration of power was
> quick enough that switching to the Neighborhood view could power back
> on the radio and update the icons in some acceptable lag.

Again, I don't think this is really the desired semantic.  It's /almost/
right, and is the traditional means of achieving this, but that also turns
off the ability to be on the mesh, which isn't necessarily what one means by
"disconnect from this AP".  They should be independent.  I realize this
isn't as crucial right now, since we can't be on both mesh and AP at the
same time, but in the future it's pretty clear that they need to be
orthogonal.

I have implemented[1] and tested this behavior (as part, but not a
> necessary part, of #6995) and I believe it fast enough for further
> investigation and testing.  The only problem is that it's very
> cumbersome to bring back up the msh0 interface correctly, and would
> require some code changes in a variety of places in sugar.

Interesting.

> This problem (and it affects "Extreme power mode" too) is
> recorded in #7690.
>
> >  The old behavior used to
> > switch into mesh mode, which disassociated with the network itself.
>
> This is much less desirable than powering off the wireless, IMO.

I agree.  That's why there's no longer a disconnect option.  We thought it
was better to remove it until it has a proper semantic, rather than
implement it in a peculiar and not readily understandable way.

- Eben