[sugar] current network differentiation?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Jul 31 15:37:46 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 03:23:47PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> The new design does not make any indication of which
> network is presently associated in the Neighborhood view; perhaps we can
> find an alternative method.  Thoughts?

Perhaps the currently-associated network's icon can appear below the
XO icon, as the Journal does initially in the Home view.

> i'm also not sure how to disconnect from that network -- there's no
> > "disconnect" option in the popup anymore.
> >

> Well, that's a "bug", but not really.  The problem is that there is no
> notion of "disconnect" in network manager at all.

cjb suggested to me on IRC that Disconnect/Turn Off (for
wireless/mesh, respectively) could just cut power to the radio.  I
then suggested that this would work if the restoration of power was
quick enough that switching to the Neighborhood view could power back
on the radio and update the icons in some acceptable lag.

I have implemented[1] and tested this behavior (as part, but not a
necessary part, of #6995) and I believe it fast enough for further
investigation and testing.  The only problem is that it's very
cumbersome to bring back up the msh0 interface correctly, and would
require some code changes in a variety of places in sugar.

This problem (and it affects "Extreme power mode" too) is
recorded in #7690.

>  The old behavior used to
> switch into mesh mode, which disassociated with the network itself.

This is much less desirable than powering off the wireless, IMO.

>  However, we now have a more direct means of accomplishing this, via turning
> the mesh device on or off explicitly.

This is spec'd but subject to #7690, IIUC.

> - Eben

Martin

1. Some example entry points:

wlan_radio.py: http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=blob;f=src/hardware/wlan_radio.py;h=47b70474fe503e90d74c4aecf5ed4cd1992f8412;hb=4a455159e61ac2ce1ed47059dccf5a8ba18ebd80
MeshBox.py changes (last last diff block):
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=commitdiff;h=4a455159e61ac2ce1ed47059dccf5a8ba18ebd80