[sugar] Write needs your help (was Re: Programming environments on the XO)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Thu Jul 17 04:16:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Bobby Powers <bobbypowers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Marc is a bit of a perfectionist so I'm not sure how usable "95%" of the
>> work is and whether it could be finished by simply using it and
>> providing bug reports as needed would be.
>
> Is this something the community could help with?  I know myself and
> maybe another person or two who would be willing to help if it was
> clear what else needed to be done.

Martin and Marc will know better about the syntax highlighting stuff,
but if you can help with the very important activity that Write is,
please consider properly packaging pyabiword for fedora (and other
distros):

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList#OLPC_Wishlist

We are using a _really_ old prerelease tarball of abiword:
2.6.0.svn20071127 . The Abi guys have already released 2.6.4 :/

The abi devs have also asked for help in testing Write with non-latin
scripts, this is something of high importance for OLPC.

If we cannot bring all the abiword potential to Sugar's Write, we risk
someone will start asking for running unsugarized OpenOffice or
Abiword on the XO, just as happened with Browse :/

Thanks,

Tomeu