[sugar] squeak version

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Feb 8 03:49:12 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 15:26 , Jani Monoses wrote:

> Is there a specific squeak version that is needed for etoys to run?
> I know that edubuntu devs are working on getting a more recent squeak
> into the archives by Ubuntu 8.04 release, but I am not sure if that
> will
> be good for etoys too or a different (unreleased or forked) squeak
> environment is necessary.

The later the Squeak VM version the better. On the XO we ship a VM
built from the olpc branch of svn, with some enhancements and
additions, but all changes are expected to be folded back into the
trunk:

http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/olpc/

The enhancements are not strictly necessary for running Etoys (a
regular Squeak VM would be okay too), but provide better system
integration (for example, the X11 drag-and-drop support is much
improved).

- Bert -