[sugar] Question about clipboard service

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:44:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2008, at 16:50, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> 7 - Is cut supported? How do you remove things from the clipboard?
>>> How
>>> many items can it hold?
>>
>> Cut is definitely supported, and will remain mapped to the Ctrl-X
>> shortcut familiar to many, however it will not retain the same name.
>> Instead, we've applied the notion of "cut" as "copy and erase", which
>> makes clear that the result of the action is twofold: first it
>> performs a copy action, and second it erases the item selected.  Since
>> these semantics make "cut" an alternate form of the copy action, "copy
>> and erase" will actually appear as a secondary option in the palette
>> for the "copy" button itself.
>
> Random though; could there also be potential for a "paste and erase"?

This is already included in the specification, right down to the ALT
key as a modifier for accessing the functionality. ;)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Specifications/Clipboard#Pasting

It's currently discussed as "paste and remove", but you are correct in
identifying the correlation between this action and "copy and erase";
I think "paste and erase" is the correct terminology for the feature.

- Eben