[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Aug 4 10:42:59 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 10:10:09PM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Eben wrote:
> > There has been lots of confusion about the difference between mesh and APs.
> >  They're really not the same at all, apart from the fact that they both
> > depend on the radio.  The new design no longer treats the mesh channels as
> > objects in the Neighborhood view.  Instead, there will be (is? not sure if
> > the patch landed yet) a mesh device in the Frame, which you can turn on (and
> > off?) at whim.
>
> I am anxiously waiting to *use* some of these improvements.

Sorry for the delay in landing #6995 - there are a number of
improvements I keep trying out, delaying the patch.  But, this time,
it's almost ready.  I had one volunteer on IRC who might be able to
help me test before I ask for wider testing.

> For people in my situation, what I want is to be able to 'turn off'
> the XO trying to reach the 'school server' via the mesh (I'm a G1G1
> user, and will *never* have a 'school server' where I live).
> Instead, I want my XO to try HARDER, via the AP to which it is
> connected, to reach whatever (Jabber) server I've specified.

I am in the same situation and would like the same feature, but I
don't think things are too possible with the current NM: see
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-August/017686.html

> mikus

Martin

> p.s.  These may be written down somewhere - but I've not been able
> to find explanations for "how to move a connection" :

It Just Happens - Network Manager notices a connection is down
(somehow? probably device- & kernel-specific) and starts looking for
new ones.  But applications probably won't like this.  There was a
huge thread on devel@ in Jan/Feb IIRC debating this, but basically I
think activities (the underlying APIs they use, mostly) will vary in
how well they deal with IPs changing and their network sockets getting
closed.

> (A)  Suppose a kid is communicating with his 'school server' via the
> mesh.  Then he walks so far away that his radio no longer reaches
> the school.  If he happens to be within range of an alternate AP,
> how would the transfer from 'using mesh addressing for the school'
> to 'using internet addressing for the school' be handled? [Does the
> kid ever have to do something manually, such as re-starting Sugar ?]

ibid.

> (B) Suppose a kid is using the Jabber facilities at his school to
> contact an "overseas" buddy.  Suddenly the communications link
> between the school and the internet fails.  If the kid happens to be
> within range of an alternate AP, does he have to do something
> manually (such as entering the name of a non-school Jabber server)
> to re-establish Jabber contact to the outside world ?

No idea, sorry, but I don't think your question is a conventional
one.  Jabber servers can be federated but I don't know of any that
are, nor if and XS's jabber server is.  But I think you're mixing up
"connected to a Jabber server / server-cloud" and "connected to an
AP".  The latter is a pre-requisite for the former but doesn't
necessarily imply reachability of the former.  So if you change your
AP, that may have nothing to do with connectivity to the jabber server
by which one was chatting to an overseas buddy.