[sugar] Sugar mtg minutes, 08th April 2008

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Apr 8 15:56:18 EDT 2008

Tuesday April 08 2008 - 17.00 (UTC)

Logs: http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/meeting_logs/sugar_meeting_Apr_08.log

Attending: eben, homunq, garycmartin, bemasc, daf, morgs, erikos

Topics (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_dev_meeting#Topics)
* discuss eben's sugar todo list:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-April/004909.html
     o We found out that eben's list is basically not controversial and
that we 'only' need to prioritize the topics :p
         + action item: prioritize the topics
     o Expose an avatar property for buddies in the ps
         + daf stated that we have specific support for avatars in
Gabble, which uses hashes, and therefore would reduce overhead.

* AlertBox for use with palettes/notifications
     o mockup:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Specifications/Object_Transfers#Preliminary_Mockups
     o sumup:
         + an object transfer error occurs.
         + create a new palette and embed an alertbox in it.
         + create a notification object.
     o attach the new alert palette to both the notification and the
transfer object in the frame.
         + Then, upon the cancel/retry button callback: make sure that
the notification is gone, reattach the old palette, take the appropriate
action.
     o action items:
         + a) create an AlertBox class (probably a subclass of alert or
make alert more generic)
         + b) add support for more complex layout to Palette class
(ability to set the content before and/or after the menu independently)

* Activity bundle format, autoupdate
      o Homunq has a proposal up at
Talk:Activity_bundles#Proposals_for_update
      o two proposals: a philosophical one about where we want to get
to, including activity threading with forks, and an implementation one,
which only covers activities as long as the signing key stays the same.
      o Philosophically:
          + Eben says any change of key should count as a different activity
          + Homunq argues that still grouping them in the UI will allow
tighter control of keys, and that the UI can give appropriate guidance
on secure practices.
          + Agree to disagree for now, because implementation is not urgent.
      o Implementation Signatures
          + morgs has minor comment about hash format (hex instead of
base64, for easier comparison
          + no further comments
          + homunq will start work this week
          + unresolved issue: how to store private key for signing an
activity?
          # we need to talk to m_stone .

If you want your item to be discussed in a meeting feel free to add it
to the topics section for next weeks meeting until next monday nigth.

Best,
    Simon