[sugar] Developer Console

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Oct 11 14:26:08 EDT 2007

Sameer Verma wrote:
> Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>>> 1) Terminal-Activity, included by default in sugar but hided from the
>>> activities launcher menu. Can be activated with some key binding as
>>> 'alt + 9'.
>>>

>> This sounds really great.  I don't think we have to hide it
>> permanently.
>>
> I agree that it doesn't need to be hidden. It is yet another option and
> those who need it will use it. I find that in my class/labs (I realize
> that we are talking about very different student profiles - I teach
> undergraduate business students) I usually leave the terminal icon
> visible. About 10% of the class uses it, and the others just don't go there.

Following up on my own post...

I did a short presentation to an MBA class last night on OLPC. This was
an overview type presentation. One of the quick polls I did was about
the terminal icon/capability. Majority of the MBA students voted the
icon down. Common reasons:

Why do they need it?
Less clutter.
Don't give them a way to get into the machine.
We will be breeding an army of hackers worldwide!
What if they break something?

Except for the "less clutter" reason, I think all the reasons stated
above are why we *should* have an icon. Keep in mind that these are
opinions of "pre-MBA types".

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.