[sugar] Developer Console

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Oct 8 22:13:21 EDT 2007

Eben Eliason wrote:
>> 1) Terminal-Activity, included by default in sugar but hided from the
>> activities launcher menu. Can be activated with some key binding as
>> 'alt + 9'.
>>

> This sounds really great.  I don't think we have to hide it
> permanently.
I agree that it doesn't need to be hidden. It is yet another option and
those who need it will use it. I find that in my class/labs (I realize
that we are talking about very different student profiles - I teach
undergraduate business students) I usually leave the terminal icon
visible. About 10% of the class uses it, and the others just don't go there.
> I think any kid that wants to should be able to place
> this activity in the frame.  I personally have the Terminal in my
> Dock, and it's even in my startup items.  If we don't include
> pre-installed activities in the Journal (there are mixed feelings on
> this), then I'm not sure how that could be accomplished, though.
>

>> 2) Create a simple Shell View with system information as: kernel
>> version, build version, Serial Number, Activities information (bundle
>> size, author, version...), CPU usage, presence service, etc
>>

> I might suggest making an "About this XO" type section within the
> forthcoming control panel.  It seems that information such as build
> number, serial number, and other hardware specs would be useful to
> make easily accessible.  They relate directly to the XO itself, just
> as the system prefs do, so I think this is a logical place for them.
> (Relates to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/900)

gnome-system-monitor shows release, memory, processor, space. It also
has tabs, for processes, resources and file systems, but I am not sure
if we need that much detail.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/images/rhl-common/sysinfo/gnome-system-monitor-memory.png

>> 3) Memory Analysis acivity: An activity based on developer console
>> where is possible to get different stats about the memory usage by: X
>> Server, Activities, System process, etc.
>>

> This seems reasonable.  It's akin to the "Activity Monitor" in OSX.

The processes tab on gnome-system-monitor does this as well. You get
load averages, process names, virtual and resident memory usage along
with user and status sleeping ,etc.)

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.