[sugar] Non-XOs showing up in neighborhood

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:29:18 EDT 2007

> For people in the same network we use link-local messaging (xmpp xep 0174).
> Which is also used/supported by iChat, Adium, Gaim, Gajim and Telepathy based
> clients using telepathy-salut (such as Empathy).

I think we need to consider this a bit more.  I think it would be
fantastic to be able to communicate with people outside of the XO mesh
network.  On the other hand, I think it would be extremely confusing
to render these individuals as XOs like anyone else, since they won't
be able to respond to similar action events in Sugar:  You can't send
them a message, invite them to an activity, make them a friend, etc.

If our system is going to make contact with people beyond the mesh in
ways that directly affect the Sugar UI, then we need to create a
detailed list of the particulars so that the visual design and network
implementations can work towards a logical interface.  One direction
this might head is one I discussed with Walter several weeks ago, and
that is the possibility of changing our scopes to Home, Neighborhood
(with friends and groups being selectable filtered subsets therein),
and World.  The World view, then, could take advantage of these
"outsiders" and appropriately label them as such so that their
presence and abilities within the UI are clear and well defined.

- Eben