[Socialcalc] SocialCalc and Hulahop

vijit singh vijitthetopcoder at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 12:25:49 EDT 2011

Hello Nick and all,

It is indeed true that older versions of sugar are getting a bit hostile
towards hulahop. Though I haven't lately worked on the issues, but I did had
a few talks with tomeu regarding this when I was trying to sort certain
issues for socialcalc on 0.84 and 0.86. The motivation for the sugar guys to
maintain hulahop was browse activity which also used hulahop library, and
Lucian during Gsoc2010 was trying to write an alternate browser activity
using webkit for sugar, I guess they were planning to make hulahop obsolete
over-time.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Nicholas Doiron <ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu>wrote:

> I had an idea to send JavaScript messages from Sugar to the browser using
> .load_uri('javascript:____') but messages still need to be sent back to
> Sugar for anything to be saved or networked.
>
> Is it true that messages are not working in both directions?

That's a strange problem Nick. As far as I can remember we didn't face this
kind of an issue with socialcalc till sugar-0.86, I haven't tried socialcalc
on sugar-0.88. Does sugar-0.88 has browse activity installed and is it
working properly? If browse activity is working fine, then probably it would
be a socialcalc-port-on-sugar specific issue.

> Is there a repo of hulahop somewhere, and a way to pack the older version
> into the activity?

I am not sure about the repo for hulahop but there would certainly be a way
to pack the older version of hulahop into the activity, and use it instead
of the default installed version. I had a few discussions regarding such
mechanism on the sugar irc which I was working on NewsPaperActivity and was
trying to include a newer version of abiword in my activity bundle. I am not
sure what is the exact procedure for this, but I guess people on sugar
mailing-list or irc might be able to suggest something regarding this.

PS- Since I haven't worked closely on Sugar lately, so I might slightly be
wrong  in the stuffs I have discussed in the mail. Also, am really sorry
that I couldn't suggest a concrete solution, may be Luke or Audrey could
suggest something better for this particular issue.

Thanks!
VIJIT