[Socialcalc] (no subject)

Preeti KS kspreeti.13 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 03:02:33 EDT 2008

Hi all!

    Long time since there's been activity on this group. I thought I will
initiate something. I have been a wee bit busy with other things, and was
not in Delhi for a while. But, I did manage to do some testing for
SocialCalc.

The good news is that xocom is working perfectly. Infact, I have been
working on making the toolbar.py file for the release of this activity.
While on it, I have made extensive use of xocom. I made the toolbar in
Python, and used xocom to create the webview,etc. I also managed to
interface the toolbar.py file with the socialcalc.py file. I have attached
the relevent files with this email and also at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:SocialCalc-toolbar.zip .
I had mailed earlier with some doubts, some of which actually got cleared
when I studied the toolbars of other activities. I thought you might be
interested to know exactly how xocom is used in the toolbar. In activities
like "Abiword" I noticed that the web view, etc are created using hulahop
and webview. As xocom has defined webviews, I have created a class
SpredSheetActivityToolbar that uses xocom to create webviews. My toolbar.py
file is as follows, these are some code snippets:

This is the main spreadsheet activity toolbar, It has used xocom to create
the webview..

class SpreadSheetActivityToolbar:
    def __init__(self, activity, toolbox, self_canvas):
        self._activity = activity
        self.set_canvas( xocom.create_webview() )
        self._activity_toolbar = toolbox.get_activity_toolbar()
        self._keep_palette = self._activity_toolbar.keep.get_palette()
Then, I have created another class, for the edit toolbar. Its definition is
as follows:
class SpreadsheetEditToolbar(EditToolbar):
    def __init__(self, toolbox, self_canvas):
        EditToolbar.__init__(self)
        self.set_canvas( xocom.create_webview() )
This is followed by the general definition of edit toolbar,
copy,paste,undo,redo, etc. There is also a viewtoolbar class, for viewing it
on hulahoop.
Then of course, I had to make changes in the SOcialCalc.py file in order to
call this toolbar interface. Here are the details of the SocialCalc.py file:
To interface it with toolbar.py, I have imported the classes from this file
as:

import toolbar
from toolbar import SpreadSheetActivityToolbar, SpreadsheetEditToolbar,
ViewToolbar
Then, while creating the toolbar, I have called these functions as:
        toolbox = activity.ActivityToolbox(self)
        self.set_toolbox(toolbox)
        toolbox.show()
Separately calling edit toolbar:
      self._edit_toolbar = SpreadsheetEditToolbar(self, self._edit_toolbar,
set_canvas)
        toolbox.add_toolbar(_('Edit'),self._edit_toolbar)
        self._edit_toolbar.show()
And similarly calling the Viewtoolbar class:
        view_toolbar = ViewToolbar (self.set_canvas)
        self.set_canvas.show()

I had a lot of fun doing this integration work. I am facing a few problems
dealing with the Javascript aspect of this whole activity, but to deal with
that I am studying JS in detail. So still an advantage. I hope you all will
be helping me out with the queries!
Apart from that, I also tested the new build for various simulated
situations. I have taken snapshots of the same. But due to problems in my
net connection, they are not getting attached. I will definitely mail them
by Monday.

Thanks and warm regards,
Preeti