[Server-devel] Internet-in-a-Box 6.6 Preview 1 (released!)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Jul 13 16:11:57 EDT 2018

Don't worry it's not "666" on Friday the 13th -- the new/preview
Internet-in-a-Box 6.6 Preview largely works on all 3 OS's (Raspbian, Ubuntu
18.04 and the imminent Debian 9.5
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-stable-announce/2018/07/msg00000.html>
arriving "tomorrow" 2018-07-14!)

Try a fresh install by picking one of Internet-in-a-Box's "1-line
installers" here and letting it rip:

http://download.iiab.io/6.6

You can choose a MIN-sized, MEDIUM-sized or BIG-sized Internet-in-a-Box
(IIAB).  Whichever you install, first read the security and OS-updating
recommendations at the top of that .txt file, to get yourself safely onto
the latest kernel.  Raspberry Pi peops: use the new 2018-06-27 Raspbian
<https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/> (Lite or Desktop).  PC /
x86_64 peops: use either the server edition or the graphical/desktop
edition of any Linux distribution Very Similar to the 3 mentioned above!

WHAT'S THE LATEST?

   - Sugarizer 1.0.1 was added to IIAB 6.6/master Wednesday 2 days ago (for
   MEDIUM-sized and BIG-sized installs).  Two people have hit
   so-far-unexplained problems with "npm 5.6.0" unable to build the Node.js
   stuff for Sugarizer on RPi 3 and RPi 3 B+ ("cd /opt/iiab/sugarizer-server"
   then "npm install" fails and/or runs out of memory on certain RPi 3's but
   not others, despite seemingly identical conditions).  If Node experts can
   help out on Raspberry Pi, that'd be super awesome, please shout or write me
   privately!  *Lionel: will an official v1.0.1 of sugarizer-server
   <https://github.com/llaske/sugarizer-server/releases> be possible in coming
   days, so IIAB 6.6 is can become even more stable, instead of driving off of
   sugarizer-server's master branch?*  In any case: we can release IIAB 6.6
   Preview 2 later in the week if that proves necessary to refine Sugarizer on
   Raspbian.  (PR #888
   <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/pull/888#issuecomment-404370082>)
   - Regional Maps Packs are now extremely fast to download, thanks to
   compact vector-based tiles for OpenStreetMap.  Central America
   (including Haiti and a lot of South America)
   <https://openmaptiles.com/downloads/central-america/> is provided as a
   sample to get you started (#877 <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/issues/877>
   ).
   - dnsmasq and our new Captive Portal is not quite yet
   Ready-for-Main-Street (people who are unable to type in http://box) but
   getting much closer -- please support Anish Mangal and Jerry Vonau refining
   this (PR #870 <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/pulls/870>) based on the
   original hard work of Tim Moody and Josh Dennis (#608
   <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/issues/608>).
   - Special thanks to Arky R. in Cambodia and the Philippines who rejoined The
   Cause <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cause> in recent weeks (someone
   help fix that Wikipedia article to mention the Sneakernet-of-Alexandria
   that 5 Billion Minds are waiting for ;)  Arky is crafting our Kolibri 0.10
   Ansible playbook (#841 <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/issues/841>) and
   already contributed extremely valuable code benefiting all (#895
   <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/pull/895>).
   -
*Much More in our online DRAFT IIAB 6.6 Release Notes
   <https://github.com/iiab/iiab/wiki/IIAB-6.6-Release-Notes> ! *