[Server-devel] do RPi 3 B+ still need heat sinks?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Apr 3 20:35:54 EDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:17 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> [...]
> down
> >     below
> >     >         80C...as measured by the command:
> >     >
> >     >            vcgencmd measure_temp
> >     >
> >     >         2) It's snowing today right outside my window, so I can't
> easily
> >     >         simulate a hot summer's day -- but can others who live in
> hot
> >     >         environments report back their readings above, when
> running the
> >     new
> >     >         RPi3 B+ in various conditions?
> >     >           ☆ With heatsink on CPU -- and without?
> >     >           ☆ With motherboard fully enclose by a case -- and
> without?
> >     >
> >     >     My own results, with all 4 CPU's unloaded, in a chilly room:
> >     >
> >     >  RPi 3 with-heatsink-on-CPU / RPi 3 B+ / RPi 3 B+
> with-heatsink-on-CPU
> >     > 44-46C / 46-48C / 45-47C case's plastic top removed (w/o wind or
> active
> >     > ventilation)
> >     > 46-49C / 48-51C / 48-52C case's plastic top attached (contains
> 100+ small
> >     holes
> >     > on 1 end, allowing very little ventilation)
> >     >
> >     >     After I ran "yes > /dev/null &" 4 times, to fully load all 4
> cores of
> >     the
> >     >     CPU:
> >     >
> >     >  RPi 3 with-heatsink-on-CPU / RPi 3 B+ / RPi 3 B+
> with-heatsink-on-CPU
> >     > 80-82C / 70-71C / 71-72C case's plastic top removed (w/o wind or
> active
> >     > ventilation)
> >     > 82-84C / 75-78C / 79-82C case's plastic top attached (contains
> 100+ small
> >     holes
> >     > on 1 end, allowing very little ventilation)
> >     >
> >     > RESULT: attaching a heatsink to the RPi 3 B+ CPU does not help.
> It might
> >     even
> >     > make things a bit worse, hmm.
> >
> >     Yes, your heatsink is no good.
> >
> >     The B+ CPU has a heatsink or heat spreader already, that silver
> >     coloured bevelled structure with the black dot and Broadcom logo.
> >
> >     What is the shape, size, and attachment method for your added
> >     heatsink?
> >
> > It's the standard Canakit 7-fin aluminum heatsink shown here, attached
> to the
> > CPU with its own basic 3M self-adhesive sticker:
> >
> > [4]http://www.bestofjay.com/w/
> > raspberry-pi-3-overclock-heat-test-flirc-case-vs-canakit-heatsink/
> > [5]http://11986-presscdn-0-77.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-
> content/uploads/2016/04/
> > heat-sinks-installed.jpg
>
> Given your results, probably wrong heatsink for the job.  No, I don't

Indeed.  It'd be really great if the Raspberry Pi Foundation would publish
basic recommendations here, even if just community/testing suggestions.

Theory; the adhesive won't make good contact with outer bevel, and
> passive airflow above that outer bevel will be reduced.
>
> Theory; bubble in adhesive if the heatsink was not angled slightly as
> you pushed it down.
>
> Theory; the thermal control system is very different to the previous
> version, and this invalidates your test method.  The system uses
> thermal mass and core frequency scaling, and you've changed the
> thermal mass.  It's non-linear.
>
> Report your kernel version; the corresponding Raspbian release has
> changes for the B+.

Kernel is 4.14.30-v7+ after 2018-03-28's Raspbian update ("apt update; apt
dist-upgrade; reboot").

See
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/
> for more technical detail on the thermals; note how the core frequency
> varies and the thermal mass is a resource.
>
> Suggest you use sysbench for at least 15 minutes before reading the
> temperature.  The "yes" test is very weak.

Thanks.  Any recommended parameters for sysbench to battle-test all RPi 3
B+ subsystems simultaneously?