[Server-devel] Video: Internet-in-a-Box in the Dominican Republic

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon May 22 18:51:26 EDT 2017

Fantastic video, even if I wish they/d credited "Internet-in-a-Box" (all of
us, and our OLPC/Sugar origins) rather than crediting me!  I did not know
this video was coming.  I've asked Columbia Univ folks(*) to more properly
credit Internet-in-a-Box in future :)

   https://youtu.be/xI3Ed008Mxo

(*) under the leadership of Columbia School of Journalism Professor Anne
Nelson, whose grad student team did all the hard work in the Dominican
Republic this spring.  Very honest mistake on their part, as our
http://internet-in-a-Box.org and http://schoolserver.org web sites are
indeed stale.

*Finally if you too are inspired by what rural health workers are doing for
Haitians' rights-to-survive in the Dominican Republic, and want to build
your very own digital library- please do read this important article at
OpenSource.com (also just published) and feel free to ask us @
http://iiab.io <http://iiab.io> what you need to make it happen:**   How to
create an Internet-in-a-Box on a Raspberry Pi*
   Learn about this inexpensive device for students with restricted internet
   access and people in remote areas of the world not served by broadband.
   https://opensource.com/article/17/5/internet-in-a-box-raspberry-pi

PS developing world hackers & offline content gurus please write me if you
want to attend our larger http://OFF.NETWORK Wikipedia/OpenStreetMap
Hackathon in August for hard-core implementers, --taking "meducational"
humanitarian open content to the next level -- for schools, clinics,
libraries truly everywhere.  Yes that means heading further into the hills
than 5G Helicopter Celebrities, beyond even SUNY Potsdam where our
hackathon will be held ;)  FYI our "Kiwix + Internet-in-Box + Offliners
All" hackathon will be held in conjunction and right after Wikipedia's own
annual community powwow in Montreal (https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org)
co-located right in the same city with DebConf17 (
https://debconf17.debconf.org)
*.  Thanks in advance to open-access librarians / factivist developers all
for getting in touch towards joining us from different corners of the
globe!!*

"Always do right, this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain