[Server-devel] Internet-in-a-Box 6.2 install images + sampler content coming soon!

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Mar 26 13:15:34 EDT 2017

As we approach the finish line rapidly in coming weeks if not days, this
morning AnishM, AvniK, TimM and GeorgeH helped standardize our IIAB install
image filenames, example preview:

   iiab-6.2-YYMMDD-pixel-sampler-g2ea032e.img.zip

(Our emerging guidelines @ http://tinyurl.com/iiabimages should help many
others build Internet-in-a-Box images for many other OS's, HW platforms and
most important new regions/languages as well!)

Final install images for IIAB 6.2 will be posted to
http://xsce.org/download(s) in coming weeks.  As another example, Josh &
All have helped refine a "sampler" content suite that will appear within
most "official" IIAB images going forward (typically 3GB and larger) again
to spur more DIY librarians/curators with vivid examples, inspiring them to
build their own IIAB install images.  By default with Sugarizer etc
enabled/on, and great sample content ready-to-roll for particular languages
and regions of the world, e.g.:

   iiab-6.2-YYMMDD-raspbian-lite-medical-espanol-g2ea032e.img.zip

In other words IIAB install images should have filenames like:

   iiab-<version>-<YYMMDD>-<os-and-version>-<content-summary>
-<githash>.img.zip

Where...

   version = *auto-generated* IIAB version number
   YYMMDD = *auto-generated* date
   os-and-version = manual input into compress.sh
   content-summary = manual input into compress.sh
   githash = *auto-generated* githash (always begins with the letter g,
followed by 7 characters)

Conlusion: compress.sh
<https://github.com/iiab/iiab-factory/blob/master/box/rpi/compress.sh>
builds the install image, if you want to build one yourself: if so see page
5 of http://tinyurl.com/iiabimages for more on compress.sh as we fine-tune
this still-changing spec, *Thanks All for your ongoing input!*

PS More to follow as details emerge around the possibility of plug+play
content suites & constituent content packs, e.g. we also envision 100GB of
prefab medical/educational content suites downloadable in "6min 40sec"
while making your morning coffee IF we believe the hype about the many new
cities promising 2gbit/s connection to the home (not just Hong Kong
anymore, but more on our sneakernet-friendly distributed/offline web
ambitions later :-)