[Server-devel] [UKids] Re: Internet-in-a-Box 6.3 Released

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Jul 17 13:48:34 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2017 3:26 PM, "Jerry Vonau" <jvonau3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​Does this still apply? "​
> On classical PC hardware, do turn off UEFI
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface> in
> your PC/server's BIOS if possible
> ​".
>

> How should we rewrite this section?
>
> (Tim, George & others can help if nec!)

Please review the lastest draft:

On classical PC hardware, follow the *"Do Everything from Scratch"
<https://github.com/iiab/iiab/wiki/IIAB-Installation#do-everything-from-scratch>*
instructions. MBR <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record> was
preferred in the past, but UEFI
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface> can
work (as set in your PC/server's BIOS) if your Linux distribution
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IIAB/FAQ#What_OS_should_I_use.3F> supports
that.  Beware that partitioning is critical
<https://github.com/iiab/iiab/wiki/IIAB-Platforms#disk-partitioning>
particularly with distros like CentOS that attempt to allocate all
extra/surplus space to /home by default (this won't work, as the most
voluminous content will be placed in /library instead!)  Finally, avoid
enabling LVM partitioning, especially if you'll later be needing Clonezilla
to duplicate the disk.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IIAB/FAQ#Is_a_quick_installation_possible.3F

Wonder