[Server-devel] Debian LTS Clarification & UbuCon @ SCaLE March 1-2 (free)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 20 10:10:12 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> Many thanks James.  Speaking of LTS-like rubber meeting the road, Raspbian
> Pixel isn't exactly Debian but it has suddenly upgraded chromium-browser in
> recent days from Chromium 51 to 56.0.2924.84-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1000 for
> those who run:
>
>    apt-get update
>    apt-get upgrade

For completeness, the above "holds back" installing several packages, often
relating to security restructuring etc.  These can be installed with:

   apt-get dist-upgrade

At your own risk of course.  Those running X Windows(*) can also force
these upgrades by going to the top-left (Raspberry menu) -> Preferences ->
Add / Remove Software -> Options menu -> Check for Updates.

For example pprompt-0.9 was very recently upgraded to pprompt-0.11 (
https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/pprompt) to better remind Raspbian users
NOT to leave default ssh passwords (like pi / raspberry) open.  Left
unchanged, this is easily used by remote intruders to potentially destroy
your system when it's put online.

(*) LXDE-pi for now, Raspbian may move towards LXQt in future, as LXDE also
moves in that direction.

(To remove all cruft for testing purposes, I happen to also run...)

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !