[Server-devel] Debian LTS Clarification & UbuCon @ SCaLE March 1-2 (free)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 20 09:19:06 EST 2017

Many thanks James.  Speaking of LTS-like rubber meeting the road, Raspbian
Pixel isn't exactly Debian but it has suddenly upgraded chromium-browser in
recent days from Chromium 51 to 56.0.2924.84-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1000 for
those who run:

   apt-get update
   apt-get upgrade

(To remove all cruft for testing purposes, I happen to also run...)

   apt-get autoclean
   apt-get autoremove

Amazingly this new Chromium 56 browser cannot load most Google-related web
sites such as:

   https://google.com
   https://gmail.com
   https://youtube.com
   https://plus.google.com
   https://hangouts.google.com

Other web sites load normally.  If anybody has suggestions, the error is:

   ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Looks like Raspbian's QA process overlooked this issue, that will render
the browser useless for many people.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Raspbian
forums have not responded to this bug (insofar as I can tell?) so perhaps
we just need to wait:

   https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=174870