[Server-devel] [XSCE] Can I name my server something other than http://BOX.LAN ?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Feb 15 10:11:53 EST 2017

On Feb 15, 2017 8:54 AM, "Tim Moody" <tim at timmoody.com> wrote:

Are we now at the point of changing the default hostname to box?

Prob the right move yes, retaining legacy support for http://schoolserver
and http://schoolserver.lan of course.  All 3 aliases should work {box.lan,
schoolserver.lan, hogwarts.lan} when tinkerers change their training to
http://hogwarts.lan

My #1 goal is to dramatically simplify training materials (http://box and
http://box/usb etc) so legit global adoption can now move forward more
organically, purposefully & increasingly.

Even better if a reasonably good set of Captive Portal compromises emerges
in 2017 as well (so less-literate-but-just-as-bright learners don't have to
type in URL's at all, upon connecting to Wi-Fi, even if many keyboard
elites don't grasp this need ;)

> What I name the server and the alias I give for the browser to find it
are not the same thing.

> The host name should be set with either in the admin console or via local
vars as the FAQ says, but the rest deals with aliases.

Yes.  My approach was to address Teachers/Hospital volunteers #1, as they
are in dire need of 1 single concise URL-as-name they can communicate to
their peers and depend on, e.g. http://box.lan or ideally http://box
suffices on the vast majority if their site's client devices.

So I'm trying to push the FAQ to "teacher-centric" Survival Needs first and
foremost.  Then further below these user-centric lead ideas & on-ramping
essentials, linking to tech details where nec.

With background/implementer material linking to
https://github.com/XSCE/xsce/wiki and other illustrative architecture
vitals I'm surely missing for those diving in to Tweak and Customize (if
not trick out) their Internet-in-a-Box system — *as a model for their
entire community.*

This teacher/implementer balancing act must be readjusted constantly en
route whenever we find a better way (teachers are lost without implementers
hearing out their real needs, and then iterating).

I intentionally avoided talking about aliases (equiv to Host Name) entirely
to avoid sewing confusion.  But perhaps there is a better way.

Thanks all for beating on *(and fixing) *http://schoolserver.org/FAQ so
 innocent newbie misunderstandings Keep Clearing Up!