[Server-devel] overhauling our FAQ for Internet-in-a-Box/XSCE 6.2 !

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 6 20:19:43 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> In anticipation of IIAB/XSCE 6.2 RC2 (Release Candidate 2) that George &
> Tim are releasing as we speak, after busting their asses for months with
> amazing improvements(*) I've rewritten these items within
> http://schoolserver.org/FAQ :
>
>    - 4 Can teachers display their own content?
>    <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/FAQ#Can_teachers_display_their_own_content.3F>
>    - 13 How do I customize my school server's start page?
>    <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/FAQ#How_do_I_customize_my_school_server.27s_start_page.3F>
>    - 16 How do I know what version of XSCE I'm running?
>    <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/FAQ#How_do_I_know_what_version_of_XSCE_I.27m_running.3F>
>
> Tim & All, can you please help me improve #13 especially!
>
> (*) the many fixes & improvements of IIAB/XSCE 6.2 still need to be
> written up, it's true!  For some early hints, see:
>
> https://github.com/xsce/xsce/commits/release-6.2
>
> *And oh yeah, IIAB/XSCE 6.2 RC1 and increasingly RC2 images are available
> here :-)*
>
>    http://www.xsce.org/downloads/xsce-release-6.2/rpi/
>
> Of course click on README.html and I recommend these two images especially:
>
>    -    170202_pixel_jan11_.img.zip   (4.3GB Feb 2, if you want X Windows
>    & Pixel desktop apps, by George Hunt)
>    -    raspbian-lite-content-ready-2017-2-4.img.zip   (3.1GB Feb 4, if
>    you don't want X Windows & Pixel desktop apps, by Tim Moody)
>
> Do feel free to try both if you have time, and enough MicroSD cards?  As
> they've been created by two different people, with different implementation
> styles.  Or if you're hardcore, don't hesitate to “install from scratch”
> onto Debian 8.7.1

Clarif: of the 10 CPU architectures Debian 8.7.1 offers, we strongly
recommend amd64
<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso>.
(248MB ISO)
Though one could say Raspbian (the dominant OS for Raspberry Pi) is based
on something like armhf
<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/armhf/iso-cd/debian-8.7.1-armhf-netinst.iso>.
(261 MB ISO)
And older x86 machines like XO-1 and XO-1.5 may run i386
<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-8.7.1-i386-netinst.iso>
!? (316MB ISO)

   https://www.debian.org/distrib/

Coincidence: quite a number of us expect to be in Montreal Aug 9-13 for
Wikimania 2017, and by some alignment of the stars the weeklong DebConf17
is being held in Montreal the very same week, starting 3 days earlier (Aug
6-12).  Those who want to arrive a bit earlier please keep in touch!

   https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf17
   https://debconf17.debconf.org

following these instructions: