[Server-devel] overhauling our FAQ for Internet-in-a-Box/XSCE 6.2 !

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 6 14:26:53 EST 2017

In anticipation of IIAB/XSCE 6.2 RC2 (Release Candidate 2) that George &
Tim are releasing as we speak, after busting their asses for months with
amazing improvements(*) I've rewritten these items within
http://schoolserver.org/FAQ :

   - 4 Can teachers display their own content?
   <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/FAQ#Can_teachers_display_their_own_content.3F>
   - 13 How do I customize my school server's start page?
   <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/FAQ#How_do_I_customize_my_school_server.27s_start_page.3F>
   - 16 How do I know what version of XSCE I'm running?
   <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/FAQ#How_do_I_know_what_version_of_XSCE_I.27m_running.3F>

Tim & All, can you please help me improve #13 especially!

(*) the many fixes & improvements of IIAB/XSCE 6.2 still need to be written
up, it's true!  For some early hints, see:

https://github.com/xsce/xsce/commits/release-6.2

*And oh yeah, IIAB/XSCE 6.2 RC1 and increasingly RC2 images are available
here :-)*

   http://www.xsce.org/downloads/xsce-release-6.2/rpi/

Of course click on README.html and I recommend these two images especially:

   -    170202_pixel_jan11_.img.zip   (4.3GB Feb 2, if you want X Windows &
   Pixel desktop apps, by George Hunt)
   -    raspbian-lite-content-ready-2017-2-4.img.zip   (3.1GB Feb 4, if you
   don't want X Windows & Pixel desktop apps, by Tim Moody)

Do feel free to try both if you have time, and enough MicroSD cards?  As
they've been created by two different people, with different implementation
styles.  Or if you're hardcore, don't hesitate to “install from scratch”
onto Debian 8.7.1 following these instructions:

   https://github.com/XSCE/xsce/wiki/XSCE-Installation#do-
everything-from-scratch

*Regardless, let us know how it goes!!  Do join us Thur 10:30AM NYC Time if
you can (http://tinyurl.com/xsceminutes <http://tinyurl.com/xsceminutes>)
to talk this over live!*